Rabid Beaver Attacks 83-Year-Old Woman As She Swam | News
FAIRFAX COUNTY, Va. (WUSA) -- The beaver that attacked a woman who was swimming in Lake Barcroft on Tuesday evening has tested positive for the rabies virus, according to Fairfax County police.
The 83-year-old woman was attacked while she was swimming. She was bitten by the beaver at about 6 p.m. on Tuesday in the private lake n the Bailey's Crossroads area.
9News's Scott Broom reports that two fishermen saw that the woman was in trouble and assisted in getting her to shore.
The beaver continued to attack her as she made her way to the beach. The fishermen used their paddles to kill the beaver.
The woman was taken to the hospital with non life-threatening injuries.The beaver, taken by Animal Control, tested positive for rabies.
Residents are asked to report any sick or injured wild animals, or animals behaving oddly, to the Fairfax County Police at 703-691-2131.
Top Alexandria Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Man Charged with 2nd Degree Murder in Va.
- 70 Firefighters Put Out Springfield Home Fire
- Greenspring Receives Fit-Friendly Worksites Platinum Award from the American Heart Association
- Springfield Man Charged For Producing Child Pornography
- 1 Teen Convicted, 2 Teens Plead Guilty In Sex On Camera Case