Our network

Carbon Monoxide Leak Spreads To Neighbor's House | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Carbon Monoxide Leak Spreads To Neighbor's House
News

ALEXANDRIA, Va.  (WUSA) - The carbon monoxide detector on John Kuliecza's top floor went off Sunday night. He thought the batteries were dead, until it went off again Monday morning.

"They went in and found high levels of carbon monoxide," said Kuliecza.

He lives in a brick townhouse next door to Carlos Nunez and his family which is where the odorless, deadly gas was coming from. Carlos was already at work when his wife called him to tell him his two older children, 15- and 13-years-old, felt dizzy and nauseous.

"My daughter wasn't feeling well. I remembered I turned the heat on last night. I told my wife to call 9-1-1. They got here fast," said Nunez.

Alexandria rescue crews took the two older children and a four-year-old as a precaution to the hospital to be treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carlos says his carbon monoxide detector never went off.

Some people think all they need is a smoke detector. But a smoke detector only detects smoke from a fire. It won't warn you at all if you have a deadly carbon monoxide leak.

The Wades, who live near the Nunuzes, realized they never installed the carbon monoxide detector they bought years ago. At our request, they agreed to let a technician from Michael and Son check their gas appliances, furnace and hot water heater to see if there were any leaks. He found none but did convince the Wades to buy a few CO detectors.

"It's a message I at least had heard before and just have been a little over-confident and not taken seriously enough. So today, that is over," said Meredith Wade.

"We appreciate the information and thought the technician's inspection was very thorough," said Doug Wade.

Technician Steve Menacho recommends placing carbon monoxide detectors near all gas appliances and near sleeping areas. He says it's important to have those appliances checked and cleaned every year by a certified technician.

"You can smell natural gas, but carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless. You're not going to know it's leaking until it's too late," he said.

Written by Peggy Fox
9NEWS NOW & wusa9.com

News

Alexandria Deals

Alexandria Businesses