3% VRE Rate Hike Approved | News
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - Virginia Railway Express passengers will soon see a 3 percent fare increase.
The fare hike was approved last week by the railway's operations board and will take effect on July 1. It was discussed during a series of community meetings held from Washington to Stafford.
The minimum one-way ticket will go from $2.90 to $3, and the maximum one-way ticket will rise from $10.30 to $10.65.
The increase is expected to generate about $900,000 in additional revenue next year. That money will be used to pay for rising fuel costs and increased payments to Keolis, VRE's primary contractor that runs the day-to-day operation of the railway.
The last time VRE raised fares was in 2009.
Top Alexandria Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Police: Man Charged with 2nd Degree Murder in Va.
- 70 Firefighters Put Out Springfield Home Fire
- Greenspring Receives Fit-Friendly Worksites Platinum Award from the American Heart Association
- Springfield Man Charged For Producing Child Pornography
- 1 Teen Convicted, 2 Teens Plead Guilty In Sex On Camera Case